Ways to protect your joints
- Mar 23, 2016
- General Health, Yoga Therapy
Walking, bending, and performing everyday tasks become much more difficult if you develop a joint condition. Take a look at these five tips that will help you prevent joint damage.
- Use Digital Devices Wisely. Many of us spend our days in front of digital screens, which can cause neck and back pain. Prevent joint pain by choosing ergonomic office equipment that keeps computer monitors at a comfortable height and supports your back. Hold smartphones, iPads, and other digital devices level with your head to prevent pain in your neck.
- Lose Weight. Excess weight exerts considerable pressure on your joints. Losing weight is an excellent way to improve the health of your joints.
- Alternate Sitting or Standing. Remaining too long in one position stresses your joints. Change position frequently during the day and take frequent breaks when involved in a repetitious activity.
- Make Good Nutrition a Priority. The foods you eat help your joints stay healthy. Choose calcium-rich foods to increase bone and joint strength and reduce your risk of osteoporosis. Add foods high in Omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, mackerel, flaxseed oil, chia seeds, and walnuts, to your diet for improve joint functioning.
- Practice Yoga Daily.Yoga is the perfect way to strengthen your joints and keep your muscles loose and limber. Plus, yoga decreases stress, which can make muscle aches more painful.